One of the best action steps you can take in your business is to create a biography that showcases your expertise and gives you the credibility you need to stand out from the crowd. It will boost your business in so many ways. You want to have your biography on your website and all of your marketing materials. If you desire to do more speaking to grow your business, you’ll want a killer biography for the event host to read before you step onto the stage. If you’re writing articles or a book for publication, a biography is a must to give the reader a birds-eye view into who you are and why they should read your material.
Below are 5 tips guaranteed to boost your biography:
1. Go Ahead and Brag – Your biography is the place to share special credentials you’ve earned in your industry, titles, degrees and certifications that highlight your expertise in a certain area. People want to know how much experience you have.
2. The Winner Is – Your biography is an excellent place to share any and all awards you’ve won over the years-both personal and professional. Even if you were a nominee or a finalist, go ahead and add this to your biography. It shows that you stand out from the crowd in your area of expertise.
3. Highlight Extra-Curricular Activities – If you have a hobby or special interest outside of your business or work, mention that. Maybe you love gardening, enjoy running marathons or lead a Girl Scout Troop. There may be someone in the audience who has the same interest and this piece of information about you could create a deeper connection for listening to what you have to share.
4. Get Personal – Your biography is an excellent place to share some personal information. Where are you from? Are you married? Do you have children? Pets? Your biography is not a “tell all” column but do consider sharing some personal information about yourself.
5. A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words – Make sure you have a current, nicely done professional photo to accompany your biography. When people read about you, the very next thing they want to see is a photo of the person they are reading about.
Your biography should include as many of these five tips as possible and remember you will never write your biography once. It’s a living, breathing document that changes constantly as you grow your business. You may also want to hire a copywriter who will make your biography stand out from the crowd.
Anything is possible. Everything is waiting for you.